zaterdag 25 maart 2017

Dat There (Brown Jr)

'Dat Dere' is a 1960 instrumental jazz standard written by pianist Bobby Timmons and first recorded by him in January 1960 for release on Riverside Records.

Lyrics were added later that year by Oscar BROWN, Jr:

Hey daddy, what that there? and why that under there?
And oh daddy oh hey daddy hey look at over there,
Hey what they doing there? And where they going there?
And daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

Hey who that in my chair? and what’s she doing there?
And oh daddy oh hey daddy can I go over there?
Hey daddy what’s a square? And where do we get air?
And daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

My quizzical kid, man he doesn't want anything here,
He’s forever demanding to know who what and why and where,
Inquisitive child, and sometimes the questions get wild,
Like daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

Don’t wanna comb my hair, and where’s my teddy bear,
And oh daddy oh hey look at the cowboy coming there,
Hey can I have a pear? Or boots like that to wear
And daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

The time will march the years will go, the little fellas gonna grow,
I gotta tell him what he needs to know,
Help him along, so he’ll know right from wrong, gotta make him strong,

As life’s parade goes trudging by, he’ll need to know some reasons why,
I don't have all the answers but I’ll try,
Best that I can, gonna help him to plan, so he’ll be a man,

You give a kid your best, and you hope he’ll pass the test,
When you finally send him out into the world somewhere,
But though he’s grown I’m betting, I never will forget him,
Daddy, can I have that big elephant over there?

Hey what they doing there? and how you work that there?
And oh daddy oh hey daddy hey what that say up there?
Hey daddy what is fair? How come I gotta share?
And daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

Recordings exist by Oscar Brown Jr (1960), Sheila Jordan, Mel Tormé, Kimiko Kasai, Carol Kidd, Rickie Lee Jones, Tony Bennett, Pust, Cynthia Felton, Alex & Louise Rogers, etc.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten