woensdag 29 maart 2017

Stolen Moments (Fisher)

'Stolen Moments' is a jazz standard composed by Oliver Nelson. The piece first appeared as 'The Stolen Moment' on the 1960 album 'Trane Whistle' by Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, which was largely written and co-arranged by Oliver Nelson. Its first well-known recording was the version on Nelson's own 1961 album, 'The Blues and the Abstract Truth' on Impulse!

Lyrics were added much later by Gail FISHER as 'Stolen Moments (You Belong to Her)':

How I miss all our stolen little moments
The many times I'm not with you
They are such precious stolen moments
That are meant only for us two
Whenever you're gone and I know you're not here
It's so hard to remember when you disappear
With your face always there, right in front of me dear
But you belong to her, but you belong to her

Why do we have to have stolen moments
Why can't I always have you near
Holding you in my arms forever
When I never have anything
Whenever you're gone and I know you're not here
It's so hard to remember when you disappear
With your face always there, right in front of me dear
But you belong to her

I have heard when you have stolen moments
It is called an affair
I don't want to have just stolen moments
So be mine and I'll always care
Whenever you're gone
And I know you're not here
It's so hard to remember, when you disappear
with your face always there right in front of me, dear
But you belong to her

Recordings exist by Carmen McRae & Betty Carter (1987), Emborg Larsen Quintet, Maria Anadon, etc.


2 opmerkingen:

  1. Sorry, ik spreek geen Nederlands! But in English, it's important to note that American jazz vocalist Mark Murphy wrote and performed the original vocalese lyrics to Stolen Moments. I love the Fisher version tailored to the genius of Carmen and Betty, but Mark was there early with his rendition, including good scat work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yes Mark was the first but his words are a bit crude compared to Gail's heartfelt lyrics.

      Verwijderen