dinsdag 11 april 2017

Ruby My Dear (Swisher)

'Ruby, My Dear' is a jazz ballad composed by Thelonious Monk. It was named after Rubie Richardson, Monk's first love and his older sister Marion's best friend. It was first recorded by him on October 24, 1947 for Blue Note Records.

Lyrics were added much later by Sally Swisher* as 'Dear Ruby':


Ruby, my dear, hold back that tear
I know he's gone, your love has flown, you're all alone

Oh, I know you cry, there's no reply
Pain lingers on, it doesn't go, cos you'll say so

One day, he came to you and made the music play in his way
You said you'd rather die than say goodbye

But there'll come a day, though he's away
You'll sing his song, you'll carry on, Ruby, my dear


Recordings exist by Carmen McRae (1988), Mette Rongved w/ Janne Persson, Denise Jannah, T.S. Monk ft. Kevin Mahogany, Melissa Walker, Philip Bailey, etc.


*Alternative lyric set as sung by Lina Nyberg (1993) & Letizia Onorati (2016), goes: ""we'll find a way, Ruby my dear, we'll make each day, I'll help you see, what life can be, etc" 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten