donderdag 6 april 2017

Straight No Chaser (Thomas)

'Straight No Chaser' is a jazz standard composed by pianist Thelonious Monk. It was first recorded by his quintet feat. Art Blakey, Sahib Shihab, Al McKibbon and Milt Jackson in July 1951 for release on Blue Note.

Lyrics were much later added by Leon THOMAS*:

Came to this town, I started movin' around
I came to get straight, I had to get straight, no time to wait
God knows I had to make haste
Do things a movin', no time for doodlin'
I used to wonder how when ev'rything seemed profound
Within my head, I had to get straight

It's straighten up time, no time for chasin' around
Tryin' to keep up, I gotta keep up, you wanna know why
Because they're waiting in line
I'm in a hurry, no time to worry
You see to me it really matters what comes
It really does and so, I'm chasin' it straight


Recordings exist by Leon Thomas w/ Oliver Nelson (1970), Rachel Gould w/ Chet Baker, Molly Holm, etc.



*Alternative lyric set by Ben Sidran ("You Better look out, you better look where you leap")
*Alternative lyric set by Gene McDaniels ("I went to a bar, I didn't have to go far")
*Alternative lyric set by Sally Swisher (see: 'Get It Straight')

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten