maandag 13 maart 2017

St. Thomas (Passman/Wasserman)

'St. Thomas' is a 1956 instrumental jazz standard by tenor saxaphonist Sonny Rollins. Although Rollins is commonly credited as its composer, the tune is based on the traditional English song "The Lincolnshire Poacher". Before Rollins, it had previously been recorded by Randy Weston in 1955 under the title "Fire Down There".

Lyrics were added by Ray PASSMAN & Herb WASSERMAN as 'Down St. Thomas Way':

One cold winter morning it was 7 below,
I made up my mind, my friend, this snow's got to go.
So I sub-leased, went south by east,
and freezing ceased down St Thomas way.

The people were friendly and they gave me the key,
Attached was a tourist guide, a cute young lady.
We saw the sites and climbed the heights,
and oh those nights down St Thomas way.

I know how it feels to have some sand in my shoes,
to find an escape from all these civilized blues.
No cul-de-sacs, no broken backs,
it's just relaxed down St. Thomas Way.

I'm trading the city for a tropical tree,
And if you meet anyone who's asking for me.
Tell all and each, that they can reach,
me on the beach down St Thomas way.


Recordings exist by Mark Murphy (1981), Nicole Pasternak, etc.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten