vrijdag 10 maart 2017

'Round Midnight (Hendricks)

"'Round Midnight" (sometimes "'Round About Midnight") is a 1944 jazz standard  composed by pianist Thelonious Monk. Cootie Williams has received co-credits for his contributions.

Lyrics were added by JON HENDRICKS:

A pale and lonely moon - Lights the sky in the dark 
Before the dawn - I sit here in my room how I sigh 
For the day that's come and gone  
Another lonely day passes by 
And a new day's coming on  
At midnight Tears I've shed today  
Will pause waiting until tomorrow 
Dreams of what could become close to me 
Timidly - There's a brand new day in sight 
At that time 'round midnight Life's a game of chance  
And you're one of the minor players 
Look for what you love  
The day to come harbours some 
Let your spirit stop the fight  
At that time 'round midnight 
Every day's gonna bring some sadness 
Every day's gonna bring some gladness 
So take what you can of the glad times 
Don't measure your pleasure in nickels and dines 
You better look back on the day 
And you'll know when you've been unhappy 
Fears don't chased away just mighty might have the day 
Let your eyes put out their light - At that time round midnight 
I'll think no more about today 
For in a while this old day will be yesterday 
Alone at midnight here in my room - 
I sit here in the gloom 
And let my dreams take flight - 'Round 'bout midnight

Recordings exist by Carmen McRae (1971), Maria Anadon (1995), Debbie Duncan (2006)


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten