zaterdag 11 maart 2017

Twisted (Ross)

"Twisted" is a 1949 jazz piece composed by saxophonist Wardell Gray. 

Lyrics to the sax solo were added by ANNIE ROSS in 1952: 

My analyst told me that, I was right out of my head 
The way he described it, he said I'd be better dead than live 
I didn't listen to his jive, I knew all along he was all wrong 
And I knew that he thought I was crazy but I'm not, Oh no! 

My analyst told me, that I was right out of my head 
He said I'd need treatment but I'm not that easily led 
He said I was the type that was most inclined 
When out of his sight to be out of my mind 
And he thought I was nuts, no more ifs or ands or buts, Oh no! 

They say as a child I appeared a little bit wild with all my crazy ideas 
But I knew what was happenin', I knew I was a genius 
What's so strange if you know that you're a wizard at three? 
I knew that this was meant for be 

I heard little children were supposed to sleep tight 
That's why I drank a fifth of vodka one night 
My parents got frantic, didn't know what to do 
But I saw some crazy scenes before I came to 
Now do you think I was crazy? 
I may have been only three but I was swingin' 
They all laughed at Al Graham Bell 
They all laughed at Edison and also at Einstein 
So why should I feel sorry if they just couldn't understand 
The reasoning and the logic that went on in my head? 
I had a brain, it was insane, don't you let them laugh at me 
When I refused to ride on all those double decker buses 
All because there was no driver on the top 

My analyst told me that, I was right out of my head 
The way he described it, he said I'd be better dead than live 
I didn't listen to his jive, I knew all along he was all wrong 
And I knew that he thought, I was crazy but I'm not, Oh no! 

My analyst told me, that I was right out of my head 
But I said 'Dear doctor, I think that it's you instead 
'Cause I have got a thing that's unique and new 
It proves that I'll have the last laugh on you 
'Cause instead of one head... huh huh, I got two 
And you know two heads are better than one. 


Recordings exist by Annie Ross (1952), Lambert-Hendricks-Ross, Mark Murphy, Bette Midler, Joni Mitchell, Nancy Kelly, Pia Frankenberg, Jane Monheit, Robin Adler, etc. 




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten