zaterdag 22 april 2017

Billie's Bounce (Jefferson)

'Billie's Bounce' is a jazz composition written in 1945 by saxophonist Charlie Parker in dedication of Billy Shaw by the Yardbird. It was first recorded by Charlie Parker and His Ree Boppers in November 1945 and released the next year on Savoy.

Lyrics were added much later by Eddie JEFFERSON:

I've overlooked so many things, through the years
Through my tears, through the years, then I went and opened my eyes
You were my idea, heaven with open arms
Now that I've found myself this once, I think that it is best
We build our little nest, hear the rest, yes it's best

I won't stop and think of the things I really couldn't do until I met you.
Please mama, listen to my plea, understand my love and you will find it true, love.
I want you to know just how I feel right from the start and hope that you feel the same.
I've never had the slighest doubt and hope I never will,
I pray our love will blossom with each thrill, 

I hope you feel the same, please baby don't let me linger.
Open up your soul when you open up your arms for me alone
Then I know I'll find a way to make it plain, I love you.

I thought of you, dear, 
You're the only one I've wanted since I have met you
And I need you every moment, mama, stay by my side.
I know we're meant to find true love, dear
I vow you'll never leave me once I have you.
I'll never know the song the bluebird sings when he's lonely.
Well... it'll have to be, can't you see, I did used to wander,
You can love me, tell me...do ya?
For it is true, dear, there's no other but ya.
Then I went and said it all over again,
The way you made me love you, it's a sin
...but what can I do?


Recordings exist by Eddie Jefferson w/ James Moody Orch (1956), Julie Christensen, Jeff Baker, Nancy Kelly, etc.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten