dinsdag 4 april 2017

How I Wish (Hendricks)

'Ask Me Now' is a 1951 instrumental jazz standard written by pianist Thelonious Monk.

Lyrics were added much later by Jon HENDRICKS as 'How I Wish':

Once you said you loved me, placed no one above me 

Prayed for me to make that vow 
What dumb thing did I say, so busy being blasé 
How I wish you'd ask me now 

I was vain and blind then, prone to be unkind then 
Wish they'd turn back time somehow 
Then I was audacious, I ignored what was precious 
How I wish you'd ask me now 

I thought then I'd always be, all footloose and fancy free 
How could I have been so blind 
What I once made light of, turns out to be true love 

Once my ego ruled me, flattered me and fooled me 
More times than the laws allow 
You asked me could I care, my attention was elsewhere 
How I wish you'd ask me now


Recordings exist by Carmen McRae (1988), Maria Anadon, Karrin Allyson, Giacomo Gates, Jeffery Smith & Dianne Reeves, Donna Byrne, Rachel Brand, Reija Lang Trio, etc.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten