maandag 3 april 2017

Shiny Stockings (Hendricks)

'Shiny Stockings' is a 1955 jazz piece written by tenor saxophonist Frank Foster as a member of the Count Basie Orchestra, making the first recording on January 4, 1956 for release on Verve Records.

Lyrics were added later by Jon HENDRICKS:

I walk with my baby and I know in nothin' flat
She's got something mellow, lots of fellows whistle at
When we go for a walk, I know, soon as we're out
With no shadow of doubt, she's got, lots to be proud of.

I'm hip, I'm lucky to have, someone/a woman so endowed;
A girl, half as lovely would make lots of fellows proud
I'm crazy 'bout all of her charms, but one's really a ball:
I love those shiny stockings most/best of all.

Every man will eyeball if/whatever he can
But one thing all men dig is a real shapely leg
Oh really, oh really, oh really, oh really, oh really, oh really, oh really
Oh yeah, what do they think of that, where to they think we're at?
A woman has got to pretty up and tend to business
Make sure she's catchin' an eye!
The fellows all get to diggin' but they never know what they're diggin' about
A woman has really got to wail at always lookin' her very best
She must be up to par without fail
Otherwise, her old man's eyes will start to wonder
And is it any wonder?

Men go for prettines, this I must confess
Dig a pretty face, dig a pretty dress, but they like a pretty leg best
And that's the reason my/those stockings shine...
'Cause they appeal to these eyes of mine
I love it when she says "I'm gonna stick around and love you babe"
I'm certain if I can keep her home from roamin' she'll remain 
And I'll be wonderin' why a woman that's lookin' as good as her is by my side
She's fine: yes, my baby is fine 
And she's all mine, what a lucky guy am I?
I'm prouder than can be, that she only digs me
'Cause anyone can see, she's a real sensation.

Yeah, one thing certain I know,
I love her so, and I'll never let her go.
I'm crazy 'bout her charms, but one is a really ball:
I love those shiny stocking best of all.

Them shiny stockings, 
Just looking thrills me, that sight fulfills me.
My girl stays in fashion, but she'll really arouse my passion,
When she wears those shiny stockings she wears.

Them shiny stockings,
Just digging gets me, that sight upsets me,
Make no bones about them, I'm no good without them,
Cause I love those shiny stockings, yes I do.
Yes, I love theme shiny stockings really, I do.
Yes, I do, surely I do, Yeah!


Recordings exist by Lambert-Hendricks-Bavan (1963), Burton Cummings, The Ritz, Jon Hendricks ft. Michele Hendricks, Jenny Evans w/ Dusko Goykovich, etc.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten