dinsdag 14 maart 2017

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Fisher-Levy)

'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy' is a 1966 instrumental jazz standard composed by Joe Zawinul. Recorded by Julian "Cannonball" Adderley on his album 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at The Club', it became a surprise hit.

Lyrics were added later by husband & wife team Vincent LEVY & Gail FISHER:

It seems life has played a game on me,
I'm lost in a sea of misery
My love has turned his back on me,
Heartache, why won't you let me be

I said, baby, have some mercy, please
don't make me beg on bended knees
Oh please, mercy, mercy, mercy, please
Have mercy on me, mercy, mercy, mercy, please
Oh how can I face life, without you
What would I do if we were through?

I wait for you ev'ry single night
Hoping you'll return and make things right
You don't show and I'm sittin' here all alone
To pray you're gonna call me on the phone

Baby, have some mercy please
Don't make your mama beg on bended knees
Oh please, mercy, mercy, mercy, please
Have mercy on me, mercy, mercy, mercy, please
You know I love you, and I'm beggin' for one more chance,
One chance, once more.

I know life's got many a twist
Loving you daddy is the thing I can't resist
Your love and understanding you've been giving
Without it, I just can't go on living


Recordings exist by Marlene Shaw (1967), Nancy Wilson, Madeline Bell, The Paragons, The Motions, The Mendicants, Queen Latifah, Blue Avengers, etc.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten